Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Stand up / Stand out

Jonah 1:9-12
During the panic caused by the storm, everyone (except Jonah!) was crying out to their gods, and there was plenty on offer!
Most people who lived in Palestine at this time believed in three kinds of gods; personal gods, who you would worship to watch over your life (protection) and help in day-to-day problems. There were family gods, worshipped by all family members. And finally, there were national gods, worshipped a guardians of the nation as a whole.
With all this going on, Jonah finally reveals his true identity as a Hebrew - and as a follower of the One true God. But notice that this didn't happen imediately, he sat there and waited until the last possible opportunity (after the men had umm'd and ahh'd about the situation AND drawn straws!) to own up.
Sometimes we find ourselves in situations where we prefere to keep quite obout our faith (I know I have). When you are just too tired or you can't face the questions, sniggers or even the abuse.
I am sad to say that Jonah and myself are more alike than I would like to admit!
I just hope I can learn from his mistakes.
Love you!
x

No comments: