Wednesday, April 19, 2006

"I HATE YOU"

Micah
The book of Micah was written surprisingly by Micah! He was a native of Moresheth (which is near Gath [Goliath's home town]), which is approx 20 miles southwest of Jerusalem.
It was written around 742 - 687 BC, during the reigns of Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah.
It was written to the people of Isreal (northern kingdom) and Judah (southern kingdom)
The purpose of this book was to warn God's people (Jews) that judgement is coming and to offer pardon to all who repent.
How often is the word "hate" tossed around in todays conversations?
"I hate that song" "I hate that jumper" "I hate shatake mushrooms"
The same can be said about the word's opposite . . . . Love.
"I love McFly" "I love converse" "I love your nan's breadandbutter pudding"
The casual use of words such as "love" and "hate" has removed all their meaning. We can no longer grasp the concepts of statements in the bible about God.
He is a loving God God IS love God HATES sin
Our misconceptions have clouded our ability to understand the true meanings of those texts.
"God HATES sin" doesn't mean He dislikes it in the same way we "hate" shatake mushrooms!
So as we begin this journey through Micah (and eventually other minor prophets), try to remember the true meaning of such words.
Along with His love, God's hatred is also very powerful AND very real.
He HATES sin. And we will see our loving God take on a new role as a righteous judge, ready to deal out punishment (and yes! . . . . smiting!)
Much of this book is devoted to describing God's judgement on Isereal, Judah and on all the Earth. Although this may be a different image of God, it it still a true representation of Him.
Evevn though this book was written over 2'700 years ago its subject matter is still just as relevant today.
It touches on the types of sin being commited by Gods chosen people. Sin such as . . . .
Fraud (2:2), Theft (2:8), Greed (2:9), Debauchery (2:11), Oppression (3:3), Hypocrisy (3:4), Heresy (3:5), Injustice (3:9), Extortio and Lying (6:12), and Murder (7:2).
Within all this 'doom and gloom', Micah gives hope and consolation by also desribing God's love.
The truth is judgement from God only comes after numerous opportunities to repent.
I'm gonna do this study in the same way I did my Jonah one.
I will give a breif overview of a chapter and then follow it with a more detailed (verse by verse) sudy.
Let me know thru my comments on what you think of this study and if there are any ways I can do it better.
Ta!

No comments: